02 November 2011

Mahalo, Y'all

Before I even moved to Hawai'i I was so excited to find that there was a pumpkin patch here.  I've only been to a pumpkin patch a few times, and I was so excited to get the opportunity to have the chance to go to one here.  Unfortunately, things are not always as they appear.

We drove up to the pumpkin patch and I had immediate excitement.  The view really is beautiful, I mean who regularly gets to go to a pumpkin patch in between Hawaiian mountains and an ocean?


Much to my surprise (although this really shouldn't have surprised me), pumpkins DON'T grow in Hawai'i.  Although there were a few (the literal meaning of "few") real pumpkins growing on the vine, the rest of the "patch" was merely ground with pumpkins shipped in from California (boxes lying just to the side of the field) that are placed on the field.  The "country" setting was completed with the old fashioned "farmers stand" comprised of the sales of smaller pumpkins, inauthentic cornbread, "Halloween mix" (popcorn and candycorn in a mason jar), and real old-fashioned lemonade (which is water with lemons in a mason jar).  The most country thing there was a sign as you were leaving that said "Mahalo Y'all".  After having my only hope of a fall experience deteriorate quickly upon seeing the "pumpkin patch", and spending $20 for pumpkins that could have been purchased at the Commissary for $6, this sign did nothing but anger me.

I recognize that I do live in Hawai'i, and it is truly AWESOME here... but I am a little sad about the lack of fall.  Because I left Missouri in the summer time and it is still (and will continue to be) summer time in Hawai'i, I'm having this weird feeling that time has stopped in the mainland and it is still summer.  It is mentally difficult for me to believe that there are snow storms occurring throughout the country.

We did have a fun time at the pumpkin patch.  We were together, and it is beautiful Hawai'i.  It is a lesson that I've been able to learn early, we might not always have the feeling of home but we have our new experiences to help us through those lost feelings!

No comments:

Post a Comment